January is Holiday Valley Safety Month
Holiday Valley has joined forces with resorts across the country in promoting National Safety Awareness Month during January. Holiday Valley’s Safety Patrol has several activities planned to educate and bring safe skiing and riding to the forefront this month. According to Bill Steinbroner, head of the Safety Patrol, “Safe skiing and riding just makes sense. By observing Your Responsibility Code on the slopes and Smart Style in the parks, chances are you’ll have a better day and so will everyone around you.”
Learn the Code and Smart Style and you might win some nice prizes at the Valley this month!
Your Responsibility Code
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
Smart Style are rules for Terrain Park Safety.
- MAKE A PLAN-Every time you use freestyle terrain, make a plan for each feature you want to use. Your speed, approach and take off will directly affect your maneuver and landing.
- LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP-Scope around the jumps first, not over them. Know your landings are clear and clear yourself out of the landing area.
- EASY STYLE IT-Start small and work your way up. (Inverted aerials not allowed).
- RESPECT GETS RESPECT-From the lift line through the park.
Some of the activities the Safety Patrol has planned in the past for the month include...
Spin to Win! Know the code and win great prizes. Located at the clock tower on select weekends.
- Sit in the 60th Anniversary quad chair and learn about chairlift safety. Located on the plaza deck outside Resort Services Center.
- Cash Chair. On select nights you might happen to have a Safety Patroller join you on the chairlift. They'll ask you questions and your prize amount will keep increasing as you answer them correctly.
- Poster Contest. Kids at the Holiday Valley Day Care and in Mountain Adventures are invited to draw a poster that illustrates a point in Your Responsibility Code or Park Smart. Holiday Valley's winners will receive prizes and the top poster will be submitted to the National Contest.
- Lessons during the week of January 15-22 will focus on covering the entire Responsibility Code during the lesson.
- Get caught by Safety Patrol - doing something GOOD -and get rewarded WITH PIZZA!