Single Stream Recycling at Holiday Valley
Recycling Center at Yodeler
Our recycling program, called Single Stream Recycling, is a pilot program from Modern Disposal. We are able to recycle plastic bottles containers and jugs, clear and colored glass bottles and jars, clean paper, newspaper, magazines, cardboard (including pizza boxes), steel, tin and aluminum cans, plastic bags, paperboard . We have receptacles inside and outside the base lodges, and at the Lodging properties. Signage directs customers to deposit any recyclable material into one receptacle. That material is transported to a central dumpster at Holiday Valley, then it is collected by Modern. They have a new facility where they mechanically separate all of the material for recycling. The great thing about this program is that it makes recycling very easy for everyone. The easier it is to recycle, the more people will do it! Here's a poster (pdf) that shows everything that can be recycled.
But there's a way to help even before the recycling process. Take and use only what you need. This refers to paper napkins, condiments, eating utensils as well as water for washing and brushing your teeth and turning off the lights as you leave the room. If we all do our share, we can make a huge impact!
Here is a site where you can learn more about your carbon footprint and how to offset your energy use by purchasing carbon offsets. Find out how carbon offsets work.
Ski Areas across the country adopted an Environmental Charter in 2000 to address the environmental concerns of our industry. The Charter emphasizes the impacts of transportation on air quality and climate change.
- We can all play a positive role in reducing the adverse impacts of unnecessary idling on air quality, climate change and our health. Please read over these helpful tips on how to reduce idling to understand why it is important.
- Try not to let your vehicle idle longer than 5 minutes
Holiday Valley has several programs in place to help reduce, reuse and recycle. Highlights include the Single Stream Recycling program throughout the resort (offices, cafeterias, lodging facilities, food and beverage facilities). The importance of the program was emphasized to the staff for the 2010-11 season and the result was an increase of recyclable material by 150% increase. The amount of recycled cardboard increased by 13%.
- Snowmaking efficiency continues to improve with slopes outfitted with our Automated Snowmaking System.
- Snowmaking efficiency improves yearly as we replace smaller water lines with 6” lines. The higher volume in the 6” lines reduces energy loss due to friction. Low energy HKD snowguns are used throughout the resort.
- 100 percent of oils and lubricants used in the maintenance facility are recycled. 30% of the maintenance facility during the winter is heated with previously used oil.
- Our Park crew has used old lift parts, pool filters and random discarded “stuff” to create unique features in the terrain parks.
- All glass containers from the front and back of the house at John Harvard’s Brew House are separated and recycled.
- Heat for the 2 spas at the Tamarack Club is taken from circulating pool water, allowing us the efficiency of having only one boiler.
- At Sky High Aerial Adventure Park, chips and logs from culled trees are used to make the pathways.